Thursday, October 23, 2008

I Made it!!!

Well let me tell you something. When you fly out of Boston, you don't just head due east to go to Europe. First you must head north to Grand Manan , Canada and that is where my father's side of the family comes from. My great great grandfather on the Calder side fought at Waterloo and was given a land grant on Grand Manan for his brave actions. One of my great uncles was the "birdman" of Grand Manan and his bird museum is still there. Anyway, I am digressing....find Grand Manan on the map and then find Newfoundland . We will be going over both before we then head west. Lindbergh followed this route also. He is the one who flew solo on a nonstop flight to Paris, you might want to read the book about this famous flight. I am including a small picture of the screens in front of me on this plane. They keep us posted as to altitude, speed and "miles to go before I sleep"...who said that, do you know? You should, he is a New England poet. Here is a hint...he lived at one time in Franconia NH and I know because my grandfather, Harold Rowell (mother's side) knew him when they both lived there. Grandfather was a principal in Franconia at the time.
Back to the sky...this is an airbus, the type of plane I mean, and it has a downstairs!! There are 57 rows on my level and 8 seats across. How many is that? The route goes over Ireland and England as you can see (over Bristol and London and over the English Channel. Can you see it on the map? right now we are at 39,000 ft altitude and 620 mph...very high and very fast. I will upload this when we land in about 2 hours.
We just landed here in Frankfurt and it is raining. It is 7:30 German time but for us...we have not yet slept...do you know how many hours difference it is here? Do you know why?
I am posting a few images that I got on the plane...

1 comment:

Jervey Pottery said...

Coool...Laura. How did you manage to get on the Airbus! It is fun hearing from you and your blog is proving very interesting. It is just amazing to think how far away you are. Have a wonderful time and keep posting. Glad that iphone is working.